View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I was down at 225 max on the same Setrab. Possible contributing differences:

1) More airflow to the cooler. My grill fins are cut out and replaced with a fairly open mesh, and my cooler might be a hair more towards the center. Also, in addition to the bottom mount to the rad core, I added a top mount to the back side of the crash bumper. That top mount is basically a horizontal wall that prevents air from flowing over the top of the oil cooler to reach the radiator/intakes directly, forcing more through the Setrab.

2) I did upgrade my radiator to CSF's, which is a larger and more efficient core, and I have no condensor (stock or otherwise) robbing airflow to the coolant. Better water cooling undoubtedly has some positive indirect effects on oil temps.

3) DR_ is just driving harder. If you compare the two vids you'll see lots of subtle differences where he had better lines for sure, but then there's a larger overriding difference of effort/balls. You can see it especially clearly starting right after the mini-carousel to the left, when we go uphill on a short straight and then hang a left sweep. From there on for most of the rest of the track, you see me hanging back on steady throttle in a lot of places where he's still deeper in the throttle pedal, or backing off to neutral throttle well before the start of my actual braking zone while he pushes it all the way, etc. A little more throttle and revs all around the track adds up to more heat, too.