View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

I used it once on a previous car, an LS1 engine with... I want to say it had around 60-75K miles on it at that point. Sucked it in through the brake booster hose. It didn't hurt the car, and it probably does help clean the intake/heads/valves.

That being said, on a newer/specialized engine like ours, I'd want to be extra sure of compatibility - mostly that their formula doesn't damage some plastic/rubber/whatever that it would come in contact with, or that it doesn't cause our ECU to go bonkers when the front O2s read that smoke and cause the engine to try to hurt itself with over-lean fueling or whatever. But I'm paranoid about these kinds of things, it's probably fine.

As for the smoke: far too often I see people talking about how this product works and using the smoke to prove it did something. "Look at all that filth it cleaned out of the engine!". Most of the smoke is undoubtedly from the product itself, not the crud it might clean out.

An oil catch can on the PCV lines, using good air filters, top-tier premium fuel, and the occasional bottle of Chevron's Techron additive (bitog really likes that one over the competition, last I checked, and those guys know their ****) should be enough to keep our engine pretty damn clean anywhere the Seafoam would touch anyways.

Last edited by wstar; 05-09-2013 at 04:44 PM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote