View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You are EXACTLY correct. The speed of either polisher is not what makes them safe or dangerous. It is the fact that they Flex and Rupes polisher both have direct rotation that CANNOT be bogged down or stopped. That rotation is measured in RPM's, just as a true rotary polisher is. With that in mind, the Flex and the Rupes will remove more clear coat than the PC by design, no matter what technique you use. It is inevitable by the design of both machines.

That's not the case with the PC because of the free floating spindle design. You can completely stop the rotation and thus, the amount of clear coat than can be removed is limited. As you brought up, that's why it takes so long to get any major work done with the PC. Light work on the other hand is a breeze with a solid technique.

That's why I say that both polishers compliment each other by offering you a choice as to how much work you are trying to get accomplished.
Right, the Flex and the Rupes will remove more clear coat than the PC per pass, but all that means is a shorter time polishing. You make it sound like it's impossible to do light work with Flex. The way I see it, it's like driving a 1/4 mile in a Prius vs driving a 1/4 mile in a GT-R....same finish line, half the time.

I'm not even knocking the PC, and like I said it's a great tool for most of what I need. I just don't think owning both would be much of a compliment since there is a 95-100% overlap from an end result point of view.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote