View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixlimited View Post
Why bother stroking it if you are willing to build it and go FI? Displacement will help you make more power, but the issue with stroking is going to be all the additional heat generated by the longer stroke as well as piston speed stress. If I had your budget, I would just build the engine at the standard displacement and hang some big Garrett turbos off it!
Oh yeah, of course. Plus if the block was sleeved, the heat would be crazy, I would need at least the CSF/Mishimoto radiator, possibly multiple oil coolers, mandatory meth injection, and hood venting. I wish my budget was a sky-is-the-limit budget, I'd dream of having the next 1k hp 370z.

Mechanically speaking, stroker kits seem like they would be more prone to crankshaft failure than leaving stock displacement, correct? It probably also creates issues at high rpm, since piston speed per revolution must increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperuano View Post
I agree with Nix. I think stroker is not worth it.

Would be more easier to build the motor and go with a stage 2 or 3 kit. You could also save big money building it yourself. The complete built engines on Gtm site seem priced really high.

Also built motor could be usable on the street. The only stroker kit I seem with FI is at like 1k hp. Must be extremely hard to plant that kinda power on the street.

I'm in south Florida also. If u ever finish this build I'd love to see it!
Good luck!
Mmhmm, the White Dragon Z, haha. The whole reason I thought of stroking the motor was if that maybe a deal could be worked out that it could be affordable enough, I'd love to invest in the stroker kit as well as a fully forged block, even if it took me until the end of this year to save for it.

Looking at GTM's website made me sick. It's so pricey! I'd definitely have a shop build my car for me, and just have parts ordered. I'm curious what goes into the stroker kits. AFAIK, no one besides the UAM car has one installed.

South FL, woop woop! I'm in Boca Raton myself. Where about in Broward are you? Maybe I've seen the car, who knows.
---

Thinking about it, with my current funds, I'd say if I needed $8k or so to build the motor at stock displacement (at least without labor costs involved), I'd have to wait till around the end of summer or a little later to begin the build. To be honest, I haven't really built a car or owned a car with this much capability as the Z before, but I live by the adage that you do things right the first time, rather than cheaping out. I really wanna do this car right, and I sure do have plenty of time to figure it out. ^^

But, that being said, looking on GTM's website, the stroker kits are priced at $6k, and include the crank, rods, and pistons. Separately, what do you think they would run without a stroker crank?

I read an older thread about how much an engine build costs, hypothetically speaking, but there weren't really any concrete answers, let alone ballpark figures. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Alstann; 03-24-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Alstann is offline   Reply With Quote