View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
wdkwang
Track Member

Drives: slidewayz
wdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond reputewdkwang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion Lab View Post
For street driving something too light will make engagement difficult. Also you could end up getting misfire codes from the flywheel being so light. The way the car manages timing, by taking that much off the flywheel (which on these cars also has the timing marks) would essentially throw the ECU off due to the different rate of acceleration on the combustion stroke. So its nice to have the car rev fast and a lightweight clutch assembly will allow you to row through the gears more quickly, but going to extreme will just make you regret it on your daily driver.

We just finished installing the OSGiken TR2CD twin disc clutch in a 2011 NISMO, and I dont think you really want anything much lighter than that haha.

Thanks,
Alex Goodwin
AlexG@motionlabtuning.com
Is it all in relativity with only going up to half the oem weight? For example, we aren't getting anything lighter than 14-15lb flywheels. Cars like Hondas get 7lb flywheels from their oe 15lb'ers.
I drove a friend's 370 that had a light flywheel and stage3 clutch, and it felt day and night different fom my stock junk. Also much easier to drive, and blip downshift. I just figure there is room for more lightness in the revs to make it like a Honda touge racer. One of the biggest complaints from pro drivers bout our vq's is how slow it revs
Powerhouse Amuse | K&N Typhoon Intakes | MotorDyne ART Pipes | Borla Catback Exhaust | B&M Short Shifter | Intake Ducts | Ichiba 25mm F/R Spacers | Carbon Fiber Interior Vinyl Wrap | Tints | 10000k HIDs | Vtak, yo!
wdkwang is offline   Reply With Quote