View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #2011 (permalink)
MrBMW
Enthusiast Member

Drives: YELLOW 370Z 6MT NAV
MrBMW will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I. Inc. View Post
Yeah he def. went with the loudest option. It is quite a bit more mellow with high flow cats.
It certainly is loud and the good thing is Tony did warn us that it would be LOUD. As i have said before, at first i was like WTF, this is REAL LOUD. It has grown on me and brings a smile to my face every time i drive it now.

You can and personally I have done so, is to drive around the louder parts of the Rev range if just driving around in general. Also i would like to point out is that in those Videos above, is that you cant call that normal/easy driving LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Well, my gf and I just got back from a weekend trip with the Z. 5 hours of highway driving each way. Let's just say I'm looking at sound deadening options. The sound really gets in and rattles your ear drums under load. The car is it's loudest/deepest at 2-3k which is highway cruising RPM.
I'm going to having a longish drive on the Highway (2hrs) tomorrow and will see how the RTP's are affected. Although my daily commute is a 19km Highway drive which does include some constant inclines. As you stated it is loudest in that 2-3k band. This is ONLY when under load though. Another thing i have found is that when i use Cruise Control (our H/W speeds are 100km/h) it feels quieter than when i try and modulate the throttle.

Quote:
On the highway the Z is definitely louder and deeper than my old Mustang that ran a non-catted x-pipe. Under load (say, in a mountain pass at 65-75 mph) the exhaust drowns out whatever your radio is playing. Pretty nuts.

If you can cruise at 80 mph (3k rpm) you pull out of that deep/droney zone and it's not bad, but anywhere below that kind of sucks.
Could it be possible that the US spec might have less sound deadening the us in Australia. I agree that it does get quite loud in the RPM/Speed band you mention, but not to the point where it completely overcomes the Radio/CD etc.. I believe i have quite good hearing and can pick very subtle differences in tone/volume etc..

I am very surprised about your comments saying the 370Z is louder than your Non Catted Stang. The VE Commodores (LS3 Engines) that i know run 2.5-3" straight through exhausts (like my RTP's) make me sound like a mouse LOL. Just the other day on the H/W sitting at 110km/h a V8 Commowhore (joke name over here LOL) was sitting next to me. No racing what so ever and i honestly could barely hear me over his exhaust.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the car in all other conditions, but for us it was pretty bad on the highway. Not necessarily the volume, but it's just such a deep hum it gets in your head. Her hearing is more sensitive than mine, so it was worse for her. I can handle it if I have to, but I want to see if some deadening can cut down on the cockpit volume.

It's going to take a serious job in the hatch to cut down on that. Definitely going to add some heft to the car but it's necessary, IMO. Probably need a foam layer and some mass loaded vinyl to block out a lot of the noise... we'll see!
The sound is AWESOME. I remember in another thread somewhere around here, someone looking at doing the Boot's floor etc. So take out the rear carpet, spare wheel etc, etc and use something like Dynamat. This should dramatically cut down the sound issues i believe. When driving myself, i have noticed that this is the area that causes the most grief.

SRY for long post.