View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #90 (permalink)
vipor
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Nismo 09-0183 QAB
vipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read every post so sorry if someone has stated this. Also, I haven't done any real research in the the Bose stereo that comes in the 370Z (mine doesn't have one.)

Typically Bose systems use local amplifiers for each driver (or component set) and a ported speaker enclosure incorporating a 3-1/2" woofer. The ports are tuned to a specific frequency range that will operate fairly well for general listening. The issues you have come from the fact that the ports are tuned, thereby limiting some of the overall frequency range. A 3-1/2" paper cone woofer was never designed to reproduce sound anywhere near the 250Hz range. The phrase "no highs, no lows, gotta be Bose" doesn't exist for no reason. Most avid Bose users are older, and that's due to the fact that your hearing loses range once you get older and damage it from the loud world we live in. They don't notice the lack of range because of it. Even the subwoofers in most Bose systems have almost a mid-base feel to them, and struggle to hit even 80Hz.

From an installers view, Bose is a pain in the ***. When upgrading you are limited to 2-ohm, 3-1/2" speakers that use a 3-point mounting chassis, and doing anything beyond band-aid repairs requires running new wires straight to the speaker. Couple this with the necessity to build mounting brackets for the new speakers using ABS or MDF and you've got a long day ahead of you. Unlike most cars, a visit from a car owner with a failing Bose system will usually result in a new Stereo, 2 pairs of Speakers, and a lot of labor.

I'm personally thrilled about my car not including Bose, it'll make installing a Pioneer AVIC that much easier.

2009 NISMO # 0193 | QAB | Albums! | 05.04.10 (Dynojet) 291.94hp/248.28tq
Oil Cooler (DIY) | Custom Headlights | GTSPEC Braces | F.I. Long Tube Headers
vipor is offline   Reply With Quote