View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Doing some basic math, granted I'm no mathematician, the 3" is 15% larger than the 2.75". To go a little deeper, I wanted to find the area of the inner diameter of the pipe to get a more accurate measurement. so I took the known radius, divided by 2, subtracted the thickness of the wall, squared it, then multiplied by pi. For reference, the Tanabe Medallion wall thickness is .047" and the Motordyne wall thickness is .062".

Results:
3" = 6.49sq in.
2.75" = 5.54sq in

With it converging to a 2.75in mid pipe, I'm a bit worried about it. I'm sure the long tubes are helping compensate for the smaller piping, but I have my reservations that this will be enough. I saw a chart on line but it seems to overestimate the pipe size necessary. What is known is that at about 550whp, 2.5" dual exhausts starts hitting a wall. Combined area for a dual 2.5" is 8.86sq in. My hypothesis... I need a different exhaust

SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote