View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #520 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
Just curious. Has anyone been able to get the crank pulley bolt off by putting it in 6th gear and standing on the brakes hard while using a breaker bar? That's what has worked on other cars.
I don't have a 6MT to do that with. Mine was a real bitch to take off, and the car was pretty new at the time as well. What finally got mine loose was locking the flywheel in place with a prybar wedged into the teeth/housing at just the right angle, and then lifting the handle of the breaker bar on the bolt itself with a floor jack (!!). The jack -> breaker bar actually lifted the front of the car a little bit up off the jackstands before the bolt gave way.

Another technique that I've successfully used on a very different vehicle, and which definitely won't win you any OSHA safety awards (but could win you a Darwin award!): Put a long/extended breaker bar on the pulley bolt, and get it locked/wedged against the frame of the car (in the appropriate rotational direction...), and then go bump the ignition switch to spin the starter for the breaking torque. That was on a car that didn't have spark and fuel hooked up yet, and you definitely need the spark power disconnected. Actually having the engine catch and fire up during that would be pretty bad. Even then, there's a pretty decent risk of throwing a projectile breaker bar out at high velocity and damaging something/someone.

Last edited by wstar; 02-04-2013 at 06:30 AM.