View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

No, we can help. Tuning is not necessarily to get maximum gains. If AFR's are measured and are safe, then you probably don't "need" a tune. But like mentioned before, having the ability to adjust a host of other parameters is very nice. Elevation will be critical as well if it's vastly different and your car was running 13+ at sea level. It could spell doom when climbing up a mountain if the ECU can't compensate. These ECU's are an engineering masterpiece. They are smart as hell and will sometimes save your bacon if some asshat advances timing too far, or leans it out too much, it will gradually try and go back to what the motor likes.

My dyno untuned looks damn near identical to my tuned dyno. Not only that, I didn't gain a lick of power. Best tuned and untuned run was 310 whp (SAE). They were 9 months apart. But that tune fixed a lot of nagging issues I was chasing. I started at 280whp (with all my mods in August) on the first pull of tuning. That tells me the car was running like a$$ when at it's best was 36whp higher. Tuning helped me get back up to 304whp (DIN [300ish STD]). Four months later when GTM rolled it off the transport truck and ran a quick pass, it pulled 310whp STD.

Moral of the story, even though my numbers ultimately came out exactly the same, the tune is what got everything back to where it was. Sometimes running a dyno immediately after a mod isn't the greatest determining factor of improvement if 2 weeks later, the ECU starts doing it's own thing and throws a wrench in your spokes.

Last edited by SS_Firehawk; 01-12-2013 at 04:22 AM.
SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote