Thread: Remote start
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
vipor
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Nismo 09-0183 QAB
vipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist View Post
Why remote start? Can anyone give me a logical answer as to why people are so eager to start the car from far away? What purpose does it serve?
Remote start would allow your car to warm up (or cool down) before going to it. They are most useful on diesel engines on cold days so the glow plugs have time to warm and the vehicle can be ready for real driving right off the bat. This can also be good to guarantee that oil and tranny fluid is warmed and moving (in the top of the motor) before getting on the throttle to limit pinging and such.

Another huge benefit I can see for the Z car is on icy days to get the car warmed up and the windows defrosting before opening the doors. I'm sure that at least once an issue has come from the self venting windows opperating with ice on them.

If a DEI 555 style keyfob replicator is released that will link the transponder signal into the port on the lower-left side of the dash then I don't forsee any issues. I wouldn't be happy with the "hide-a-key" method that used to be prevalent with Fords and Toyotas.

Also thanks to the fact that the car knows exactly which gear you're in you could use diodes to make sure that the E-Brake was on and the car is in Neutral before attempting to start. Partner that with a pre-ignition relay to bypass the clutch pinswitch and you're golden. On my 240 I actually just disassembled the lower clutch switch and made a jumper to bypass the thing all-together. I did keep the upper switch though, so the cruise control would still drop out when depressing the pedal.

2009 NISMO # 0193 | QAB | Albums! | 05.04.10 (Dynojet) 291.94hp/248.28tq
Oil Cooler (DIY) | Custom Headlights | GTSPEC Braces | F.I. Long Tube Headers

Last edited by vipor; 09-23-2009 at 04:41 PM.
vipor is offline   Reply With Quote