Thread: The next gen Z!
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #121 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chteelers View Post
When in the entire history of automobiles has the next generation of a popular, long running model ever made the huge performance leap you V8-promotors are suggesting? Suddenly going from 330hp to 500hp? That's completely absurd.

A jump to 360 or 380, maybe even to 400hp would be more than plenty. Remember that we all bought the Z for its handling prowess. Higher output engines require stronger chassis (more weight), more cooling (more weight), more NVH damping (more weight), stronger driveline components (more weight), the list goes on. Of course all those can be overcome with more expensive engineering (ala Porsche 911, Corvette, etc), but that takes the Z into a class above the $30K market.
And Turbo's don't? I would be embarrassed in a turbo V6 making 400hp in today's age of sports cars. A NA 380-400 hp V6 would still be something special. I'm pretty sure the first year Corvettes came with a wimpy a$$ straight 6. It made the jump. May not have been legendary at the time, but it still made the change. Look what happened in the 60's when they started shoehorning massive engines in small cars. I'm pretty sure manufacturers are doing the equivalent, but with turbo's. The Mustang gained 100hp from one model year to the next. I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm arguing the absurd statement.

SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote