Thread: The next gen Z!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #86 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Caveman, how is an inline 6 with turbo's lighter than a naturally aspirated V6 with no turbos? Displacement doesn't necessarily change the size of the motor. The physical size of the VQ hasn't changed, just it's displacement. Same with the LSx motors range from 5.3 all the way to 7 liters... physical dimensions are the same. Then you add the weight of the turbo's, intercooler, piping, strengthened components. It will not be lighter. 4 cylinder turbo motors don't save much weight over a V6. And to make an existing engine physically smaller, well that's pretty much impossible without redesigning it entirely.

I think you failed to read through this thread entirely. Not only that, your comparing an RX-8 of all things. It had a chassis specifically engineered for only one car, had a rotary that weighs very little, again used on only one car, and a drivetrain made to handle it's puny 159 lbft of torque. The RX-8 was an expensive vehicle to engineer. They did it out of passion, not because it made any sense. Remember that Renault is running Nissan, they won't even entertain the idea. From an engineering and bean counter standpoint, Nissan is not going to move the Z to a dedicated chassis. One thing Nissan can take from Mazda is their skyactive idea. Improve mileage from a combination of sources, which has been posted by myself and others multiple times.

I'm not attacking your idea's as if they are bad, it just doesn't work for this scenario.

Last edited by SS_Firehawk; 12-12-2012 at 12:57 PM.
SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote