View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
IDZRVIT
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 CTS-V, '76 Vette
IDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSemdyZee View Post
Nitrogen is not a scam. First year chemistry students can tell you that. Pure nitrogen does not fluctuate as much in presure compared to straight "air". It also doesn't contain the moisture of air, thereby reducing the chance for corrosion of the TPMS, etc.
I have personally tested the differences in pressure fluctuation and it is actually quite drastic.
Pure nitrogen also leaks much slower than air. Saying that air is 78% nitrogen is a bogus argument. It's 22% other components. It's those components that are the problem. That's like saying water is part Oxygen, so go ahead and breathe it.
Nitrogen has its place - in aircraft tires for example. For street tires though, no. The nitrogen hype is a money grab. I've used 78-80% nitrogen for over 40 years in my tires. Not once has a tire of mine disintegrated from plain old air. My vette has had its tires on since 1995. They are due to be replaced due to age - not because they are rotten with a lack of pure nitrogen. Save your money!
IDZRVIT is offline   Reply With Quote