View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDepp View Post
I spent a good amount of time looking for my first true sports car. Dropping the import coupe and moving away from muscle, I was down to a Z4, Boxster or Cayman, or a Z34. We have 4 Porsche drivers here where I work. 3 Boxsters and 1 Cayman. All models from '07-'11. I constantly hear about MAF sensor problems, intermediate shaft issues, seal leakage, etc. Many of them use them as daily drivers and at least once every 2 months are driving a courtesy vehicle from the local Porsche dealership. Their stories are the reason I chose a base Z with sports pkg (paperwork still pending-buying; from a forum member).

/funny note: all 4 Porsches park next to each other; we call that the 'mid-life parking area'.
Stories being the key word. I almost spit my java when I read the previous comment about engines blowing up at 60K. Sheesh.

Lets do a search over here...CSC, Engine oil consumption, Nissan service horrible...list goes on. Spend a day here and why would anyone buy a used Z? That is how it could have been in 2011 when we were looking.

I'm a bit smarter then that, have been on the Net since its inception and understand how things work.

For those who actually care, there is a big difference between 986 cars and 987 (which the OP was discussing). Huge. So if you ever want to learn about it, remember to differentiate. That is where you will understand what cars do have real seal issues (on average more then usual) vs. those that are fine. Which engines are more at risk for IS bearing failure and which wants are not at risk. Yes, sub 20K boxsters are 986 cars and probably not looking at. Caymans are all 987 based.

I'm not pimping one car over another. As my first reply suggests I have love for both cars. I do really hate it when people don't have an ounce of clue about what they are saying.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote