View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk View Post
Do you mind elaborating? I definitely would rather NOT pay a premium for continued ownership, but am still a little unclear on what exactly that extra cost of ownership is. Are we talking $2-3k a year for DDing or like $200 oil changes rather than $50..

Thanks for your help!
Well, cost of ownership really depends largely on whether or not you are going to be doing work yourself or not.

Oil changes could cost you $200 or more at a dealership, but then again the oil change intervals on the Cayman are quite long.

Brakes... expensive at a dealership. Not that complicated if you do it yourself.

The real issue is going to be if you have something fail on you outside of warranty. Are you willing/able to foot the repair bill? Repair work on the Porsche will likely cost a good bit more than the Nissan.

Back in 2009 I ended up choosing the Z over the Cayman because I wasn't comfortable with paying a huge premium over the Z (for a new one) or spending the same on a used Cayman with no or little warranty remaining as I would on a used Z. Don't get me wrong, I felt like the Cayman was the better car in all aspects, but at the time it just wasn't worth it when I could get a similar experience for a lot less.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote