View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Motordyne M370 Intake Manifold
So I picked up my car last night at 0200am from the shop and it sounded surprisingly different compared to what it used to sound like with the LTH and CBE. I'm not sure if it's an exhaust leak or the AEM intakes. Force Fed Racing did an awesome job getting everything installed and back together. They worked extra late last night so I can get it back sooner. George and Johnny are standup guys and showed me a lot of new things. I talked to Tony at Motordyne and we ruled out the intake manifold. We also believed the Pulleys and of course oil cooler to be a nonissue as well. The oil cooler is impressive btw. Tony showed me how to build a stethoscope out of copper tube and some flexible tubing to search out exhaust leaks, I'll post a video of that when I make it. These are the videos of the bad install followed by the dyno. ALL VIDEOS ARE WITHOUT A TUNE & SES LIGHT IS ON (uprev purchased [SES light flickers a lot when accelerating])
Bad Install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrx4aSW3gKE&context=C4b9e3cfADvjVQa1PpcFMrZFMKFY-Lrk5Ji4RcvleY2EDQ9AcGBts=
Bad Install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKAKyrtj2y4&context=C4879001ADvjVQa1PpcFMrZFMKFY-LrikuB52FwY4wqR8Bge1S2VM=

Bad Install vs previous Dyno

The power is definitely down, I've never heard a Z sound like this one does now, and I'm sure I'm in desperate need of a tune. I'm averaging 12.2 mpg right now. I'm taking it in to get the SES read, the car dyno'd, and get AFR readings. I do know that there is an exhaust leak at the Y pipe and header on the passenger side, but very minor. I put about 70 miles on it since last night.

Just got back from the shop, I'm uploading dyno information right now. The issues was with the M370 intake manifold. I'm not sure if it was installed incorrectly or something is wrong with it. I did two pulls as you can see from the graph, the powerloss was really bad. We swapped out the manifold and put the stock back one and instantly made nearly 100whp more. Doing only two pulls and no ecu learning, I gained 16whp over my previous setup.

The first dyno is a comparison between my best run and the M370 manifold run. The second dyno sheet is a comparison with the stock manifold back on with my baseline dyno. Again this is no tuning and SES on.

I have the stock manifold on and sounds great again. Once I get the silver plate, ill be installing and troubleshooting again. When the issue is fixed, ill post the fix action here and the results in this thread for closure as well as the M370 thread because its a much larger thread and more popular.

I found the F'n plate in the boxes I gave the shop! $%^#! I'm going to have them put this @!&% back on for free, hopefully today.

They pointed it out to me when I went to go pick up the box. I did give them a lot of stuff to install, I think like 4 different boxes. I don't blame them for being clueless, but just not looking hard enough when we needed it. Problem was I didn't know that piece had to be on there or that I even had it. I was in constant contact with him during the installk to try and make sure it was done right. The manifold was the only thing I had that we had to find instructions for and had any real questions about. Now that it's been installed and removed, it's much easier. All I want is the M370 back on and not be charged as it was still a mishap on the shop. He is already expecting more business from me next week any ways. To not do this would be highly egregious on their part.

M370 was installed last night again, properly this time. The problem definitely was the seal between the manifold and the block. Now that it's on properly, it is definitely working as advertised.

I completed my testing with the M370. I posted all the info up in a different thread, but because this is the official manifold thread, I thought Id share just a bit of info about it.

I took my car to The shop in early August to get tuned. I started the tuning at night around 1am. It was still 100+ air temps. I had the M370 on and just replaced a faulty O2 sensor on the precat passenger side that I believed was damaged after the header install. All runs were taken in 4th gear again (saw 0 difference in prior testing on this dyno with my car). I also had 93 octane in the vehicle.

Drivetrain loss is roughly 20% with this dyno. Initial dyno pull was 280 whp... That was pretty bad considering the mods on the vehicle. After about two hours of tuning, the best we got was 304whp and 243lbft tq. So I got back some hp, but I'm not seeing the numbers I had at the end of March. Disappointed, I uninstalled the M370 and put the stock manifold back on. I went back to the shop, we strapped her down and went back at it again. Initial dyno with no other changes were 302whp and 233lbft tq. After about an hour of tuning we were able to bring it up to 306whp and 236lbft tq.

I sold my intake manifold before I did the final testing because I thought I should be making a lot more than 304whp on a dynojet, which I still think I should. But, after seeing the results, I am going to purchase another to put back on my vehicle. Below are the results, Blue is the M370 Manifold, red is the red is the stock manifold. This is all the proof I needed to validate the purchase. Power under the curve was higher, smoother, and the M370 clears out a lot of the rasp at the same time

Cover fits fine, just don't put the Motordyne provided cover on if you put the factory cover on. I noticed the power difference. It isn't an OMG difference, but it's there. It also sounds better. It reduced my rasp to almost nothing, and sounds deeper, not as high pitched as the stock manifold.

August Tuned M370 vs Tuned stock Manifold

Last edited by SS_Firehawk; 03-31-2013 at 07:43 PM.
SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote