View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Bumping this up. Happened this past Sunday, and was a blast.

I dont mind saying, you missed out Chris :-p

First half of the day was dedicated to braking exercises for about 45 minutes, another 45 towards the slalom (in my video below), and another 45 at the skidpad (also below, but NOT me or my car - that was a veteran driving someone else's NISMO).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JY_8jgh9kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1dfKSGjL6Y

They also gave free ride-alongs with anyone who was interested really in a nice, clean Lotus Esprit V8. Other instructors were more than happy to take you out in their own cars. One notable one being a neat Caterham (of which I have photos on my phone that arent uploaded yet), and a sweet track-prepped C5 Z06.

Lunch was free (albeit unexciting lol), and overall people took care of everyone there.

In the afternoon, we had our 2 ~25 minute sessions. My first session, my instructor was an older gentleman who, woe is him, had the terrible job of being a pitchman for some luxury cars. IE, guy wants to buy a Ferrari but doesnt know his head from his *** about handling - no problem, we'll have George here take ya out in it on the track, and show you what it can do! He was George :-p. Anyway, I felt I learned a LOT from him, and raelly enjoyed his instruction. Sadly, his knee went out on him later in the day, and I had to swap out with another instructor. This guy was the owner of the Caterham, and his line that he tried to teach me, I did NOT like at all. It was a line for a light, nimble, low-powered car. And it makes sense I liked the other guys line better: he was used to driving high HP GT cars around the track, whereas the other instructor was used to lighter, more nimble cars.

Anyway, sadly I didnt record session 1 since the GoPro I was borrowing was low on batteries, but I did get session 2. I was easily a few seconds slower in session 2 due to this wonky line I was following, but such is life - I learned a new line around the track at least, I suppose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAuHmU-TM0

I have in-car camera of the slalom's and my track session also, but I need to upload them yet. Will update this later!

In the end, I had low expectations for the event (I was proven correct in the classroom sessions lol, but its ok). But the instructors I had were fairly knowledgeable and catered to my level of experience, which I appreciated greatly.

*EDIT*
I guess I only took a couple pictures. Oh well

Caterham below was my 2nd instructor's car.

Last edited by MightyBobo; 11-13-2012 at 09:42 PM.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote