View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #2533 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
Many people feel that the M4 must be clean--absurdly so--to function.

To prove this notion wrong, putting the rubber to the road, I took my Noveske 14.5" Midlength M4 to Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5 course.

I've had the same experience at two different 2500-round TriCon courses with Jeff Gonzales. Jeff usually suggests that people try this so that his students can get an idea of how their rifles will run when neglected for whatever reason. Last year, my Noveske 16 inch mid-length went the full course with only lube when I could start to feel the bolt dragging. This past October, I used my 11.5 SBR with Noveske upper/lower, BCM BCG and BCM barrel and didn't lube it until the third day when I dripped a little SLIP onto the bolt. Not a single malfunction of any kind.

The only other rifles in either course that didn't require any mid-course "attention" was my buddy's 16 inch Noveske and three guys that were shooting Huldra gas piston guns. I see those Huldras a lot around here since Fleet Farm HQ is located here and Stewart Mills (owner of the brand) shot both courses.

My experience does indeed reinforce for me that there are differences in functionality between upper-tier rifles and the rest of the pack. I also see a lot of DPMS rifles around here since DPMS HQ is also located pretty close by (about 60 miles south). They tend to be...problematic...when pushed hard, as is true of the Bushmasters that some of the local police agencies use and RRAs that the local Gander Mountain pushes so hard.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote