View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #122 (permalink)
John@Z1
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Turbos
John@Z1 has a spectacular aura aboutJohn@Z1 has a spectacular aura aboutJohn@Z1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to John@Z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
I haven't followed every post here, but I it seems as though there is still debate over the value of having access to the VVEL maps.

Here's a simple way to determine their value empirically.

Re-load the previous tune where fuel and timing was optimized for Mike's set-up using stock VVEL mapping. Fine tune as needed -- leave VVEL alone. dyno three runs. Take the best.

Then load the tune with optimized fuel, spark , and VVEL tuning. Fine tune as needed on all relevant maps. Take three dyno runs and report the best.

Compare and contrast -- question answered.

If Mike makes another 10-12 whp (or more) at points throughout the rev range when adjusting all three parameters together as opposed to just two, clearly having access to the VVEL maps is helpful for extracting maximum power.
I tuned the vehicle and I'm telling all of you this power was not gained in VVEL tuning alone. And yes VVEL is helpful but(I seem to have to say this next part a lot) please don't think this is in VVEL tuning alone. Mike has pretty much shared his mods with everyone. There is no need to perform the runs you just mentioned as the VVEL tuning we performed did not net very high numbers(but hey, don't take my word for it I only tuned the car).
email: John@Z1motorsports.com
John@Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote