View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Alright, so while at work today I was playing with Visio and had been consuming copious amounts of caffeine. I was in a day dream about my car and turbo's again so I started brainstorming. Unfortunately its difficult to really figure out what will and won't work without having the car in front of me (remember I'm in Afghanistan currently). I didn't want to start another thread as this one will suit just fine. So let me get my flame suit on and tell you my idea and options.

From this thread, you can see I like both twin scrolls and twin turbo's. I also like my headers but every turbo option with the exception with STS requires them to be removed. I understand temps over 1400, mild steel starts to degrade, I'm not looking for an argument on that. Anyways, I thought up of two different ways to get this done, but I can't see how much room I have to work with or if it's even a good spot to put a turbo... or two. I was thinking of putting it a turbo in the drive shaft tunnel. The jpg image I have attached will give you an idea of what I'm thinking. I know I'm missing oil lines and the routing of the pipe to the FMIC, I'm just wondering what you all think.

I would like it to fit between the cross member and the mid pipe. I chose that spot because it's after the header, before the mid pipe, and had what looked like enough room in the drive shaft tunnel. I didn't have any dimension and only had pictures to go by which none did a good job (work proxy disallows vehicle sites). I also couldn't see any additional mounting points either. I don't know what effect unequal pipe length would have and am no expert. I understand that wastegates and recirc piping does better farther away from the turbo, these are just rough guesstimates.

The twin turbo setup would provide better clearance if they can fit side by side. Maybe they can be staggered, idk. They are also more compact so I think they would be easier to fit in front of the mid pipe. The recirc pipes and would continue after the pipe bends towards the turbo, and the wastegate would be at the Y. They would merge after the the twins merge. I don't know if this is an effective way to do it, or if they should merge farther away or staggered. This could also be easily adapted with an X pipe, H pipe, or dual exhaust setup.

The twin scroll is another I drafted up. I decided with the twin scroll because the exhaust piping on each side would merge unequally and would not be able to rely on the long tubes to keep the pulses separate and free from collision. The driver side is a straight shot with a bend while the passenger side has to cross over. The recirc pipes and wastegates would be similar to the twin setup. I don't know if this would maintain clearance, but it may be shorter overall because there is only one pipe coming out of the turbo. This might also work with an X or H pipe config, but not to sure because I don't know how much room there would be left to split the exhaust.

Lastly, I know a lot of you guys are asking... WHY??!!?!?!!
1. Well for one, I'm bored and had time to kill.
2. The shop where my work is done specializes in turbo's; They're willing to design it, build it and install it for under 10k.
3. I'm interested in if you guys seen this done on something else.
4. I'm cold and could use some heat.
5. I enjoy Troll stew.

I'm still looking at what the healthy forced induction market for the Z has available. BP's kit is awesome, GTM's kits are pure bada$$ery, there is Greddy, STS, F.I. (soon), and S&R. I WILL have a turbo next year, so why not research while I wait

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT&TS.jpg (79.5 KB, 54 views)

SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote