View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmam View Post
" The stock crank pulley is not a harmonic balancer or damper ", really ?? Think VERY hard again. Take one out of your car and inspect VERY carefully of its construction and consult the automotive engine design engineers if you are still in doubt.

For engine that have internal balance shaft, you do not need a harmonic balancer. But for most motors out there without internal balance shafts, everyone of them come with crank harmonic balancers.
I'm not an idiot and you are taking this out of context. I was very OBVIOUSLY talking about this motor. I know what a harmonic dampener, balancer (whatever you feel like calling it) is, how it works, and what they look like. The VQ37VHR motors are internally balanced using counterweights int he crankshaft and DO NOT come with an external dampener. I've inspected my old crank pulley, it looks just like my lightweight pulley, just heavier. Some manufacturers do use both an internally balanced crank and an external dampener. A good example are the LS motors. My explanation is not copied and pasted, but I'll be more than happy to tell you your wrong by citing examples of how motors can be balanced. And if needed, I will out research you at every angle to backup my argument unless there is irrefutable evidence telling me I am wrong. I challenge you to try.

Edit: More food for thought. How do you spin a motor up to 7500 RPM and not balance it internally? How do you spin a motor at 7500 RPM and have a heavy A$$ dampener hanging off of it?
The Nissan Engineers answered this question for you.

I'm not saying your whole copy and pasted explanation is incorrect, what I am saying is that I do not believe an aftermarket crank pulley caused this failure by allowing resonance to occur in the engine.

Last edited by SS_Firehawk; 10-08-2012 at 03:07 PM.