View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #87 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

With VVEL being controlled by a separate ECU than the primary, it is definitely understandable why it took so long to get it to this point. Somehow these two ECU's work in sync to keep the motor running. I think it's downright amazing things have progressed to a point where we are using separate ECU's to handle the valve-train. If we ever get to the point where exhaust valves are controlled by the same system, there wouldn't be a need for cam upgrades, just some experience with a programming tool to make adjustments and the variables would be near limitless. I guarantee something like this will be done and implemented in this decade. With the downsizing and turbocharging of motors, valvetrain is the main culprit for losing efficiency. How easy would it be for manufacturers to use the same head design and just retune the ECU for what they need.

I feel this is the tip of the iceberg and any forward progress now will only pave the way for the future. We don't need cams to adjust our peak power higher or lower in the powerband, we will soon have the ability to do that with a computer. This is why I think even with NA, there are gains to be had, not with a stock car, but one running headers, manifold, exhaust, and CAI, we can tune the VVEL to take advantage of the much better breathing of those components, similiar to how every car manufacturer now is using variable valve timing to create a super scavanging effect with their turbo motors from the factory.

All in all, when this is publicly available, I'm all in.

SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote