View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
Lug
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2006 350Z
Lug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
Honestly, the only difference I felt between the 29k ST and the 19k base Focus with a manual were the suspension setup and the brakes, which are both obviously superior in the ST. The ST is obviously faster in a straight line, but it didn't feel like it to me. The car lagged.

Could have just been the car I tested, but it didn't blow my mind with speed. MS3 is worse on gas, but it's also quite more engaging, in my opinion.
Might have been the car. Here's what COBB tuning found compared to the stock MS3.

note the difference in bottom end torque. They weigh the same so I don't see how the MS3 could be more responsive. Now with a stiffer frame, Ford can soften up the suspension and get the same performance stats with a smoother ride. As a matter of fact, this is similar to the chassis differences between the 350Z and the 370Z. The 370Z feels less harsh but still outperforms the 350Z on the real numbers.