View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #68 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

The G3-vs-dropin thing is mostly arguing about pointless tiny effects. Getting a valid dyno comparison on a 10hp or less difference on this engine is bound to run into accuracy and repeatability issues. I bet I can go to the same dyno shop two days in a row without changing a thing on my car and get at *least* a 5hp difference, especially if the dyno's not maintained and operated perfectly, or there's any slight change in the weather, or more traffic on the way to the shop, etc.

Perhaps more importantly with intake mods: the dyno doesn't accurately reflect real driving conditions. On a dyno you're measuring how effective your intake is when the car's pulling through the 100mph+ range, with only a 20mph headwind coming in from a fan (with probably lower CFM than the car would get even rolling at 20mph), too much heat building up everywhere, totally different airflow effects happening all over, etc. Could be a completely different story when you're actually at 100mph, with a 100mph wind coming in the front of the car (and everywhere else), different airflow patterns, etc.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry0844 View Post
vvel has no intake cam and is computer controlled.
Our engines do, in fact, have intake cams. VVEL just uses a crazy system of eccentric orbiting stuff to dynamically alter the lift/duration by moving the intake cam as it's spinning, so to speak.