View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopElement View Post
Again, a careful installation with good parts should be worry-free!
When driving hard on the track, on a road trip, or even just around town driving, one shouldn't have to constantly worry about parts failing and getting stranded.

Even push-fit hoses should have high quality hose clamps used on each fitting.
A careful installation with good parts is a pre-requisite to anything so important, of course.

Mine's been on for a little over 3 years now without issue, but I wouldn't call it worry free. I feel much better with an oil pressure gauge with an active alarm setting (+buzzer). Hoses can blow out. Things do happen. Without a gauge and/or alarm most likely it'll be too late to save the engine by the time you realize it. The stock car doesn't have this risk from the factory.

My point in bringing all of this up in the other thread was that I don't think (for the average person driving on the street) the risk tradeoff on the external oil cooler without a gauge is worth it, especially if you're just trying to cool things down for power and not really hitting dangerous temp levels to begin with. Half-limp-mode kicks in at 280, and I wouldn't worry too much unless you're spending a lot of time in the 250+ range.

Even if you're bumping into that range a bit on the street, there are other things you could do to bring temps down a hair. Mess with fan settings in UpRev. Run less coolant in your mix, and add water-wetter. Drop in a CSF radiator. Better fans, etc... These solutions won't make as dramatic a difference as an oil cooler, but they're a hell of a lot safer.

Last edited by wstar; 09-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.
wstar is offline   Reply With Quote