Thread: Towing my 370Z
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishy View Post
I'm making a cross country trip from California to North Carolina at the end of this week and I need to tow my 370Z behind my Jeep. Because me and u-haul aren't friends...I can't rent a trailer from them so I'm buying a tow dolly. Do I need to remove the rear drive shaft or Is it safe to run it in neutral as long as I'm stopping ever 300-350 miles for gas? I notice that in the owners manual it says you can tow 500 miles at a time if you are flat towing it...but only 50 miles at a time if just the rear tires are on the ground. Is this because of the angle of the car?

Just trying to get this all straight before I pull this thing and end up cooking my manual trans. And if I do then I need to come up with some BS story on how it happened so its replaced under warranty......lol.
Need the specifics on your Jeep - which model/trim/motor? If it's a Grand Cherokee or something, you'd be fine.

Yes, you'd have to remove the driveshaft, which shouldnt be TOO difficult. I wouldn't even think about running in neutral, and it certainly isnt recommended.

But, you'd probably have a much happier time just having an auto transport ship the damn thing. I towed my 69 Camaro about 1200 miles from Omaha to Baltimore on a dolly, and it was fine, but it also was a live axle and built like a tank really :-p.

Oh, the final option? Rent not only a full drive-on trailer from UHaul, but also one of their trucks, too. That'll get pricey FAST.