View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #79 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

If you set ETC Off in UpRev, the ECU doesn't get to manage/interfere with the throttle at all. It's still technically drive-by-wire of course, so the signal's going through the ECU. But whatever you do to the gas pedal is what it does for throttling the engine, and it feels exactly like a normal cabled throttle. It's perfect, except for the fact that the ECU can no longer intervene in any way. I know it kills SRM and at least the throttle part of VDC, and it probably kills the soft rev limiter as well (although you'd still get the hard fuel-cut one I think). If you're tracking a 6MT car and willing to never rely on SRM and do your own heel-toe, it's probably a good setting to use.

I meant to someday experiment with whether it's even possible (or practical) to time your own throttle blips on the 7AT with ETC Off and get shifting to still work right, but I never got around to it (and frankly I'm dubious of whether there would even be a consistent timing window to aim for).