Thread: Engine Build
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
esfourteen
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 40th TT
esfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud ofesfourteen has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to esfourteen
Default Engine Build

So I picked up a spare VHR from a 2008 G37 and planned on building it slowly overtime. Long story short that timetable has moved up significantly due to bearing failure, the most likely cause is the stillen underdrive pulley.

The car still runs but I'm sure it wont survive much longer under any kind of abuse, so for now I'm not driving the car as I don't really enjoy the idea of throwing a rod.

I'm doing a "budget build" here and my power goals are no more than 600whp, I'm more concerned with long term reliability than big power. The head is quite capable of making that power and really needs no work done. I am confident the 28rs .64 can hit close to 600whp on high boost/pump so I have no plans on upgrading the turbos.

Here is my parts list:

Wiseco 96mm 10:1 pistons (.020" over)
K1 Rods w/ARP bolts
ARP L19 Head studs (OEM head gaskets)
Calico coated OEM bearings
ARP Main Studs
CSF Radiator
Z1 Motor mounts
All new gaskets and seals

Currently I'm waiting on pistons as the 10:1 CR is custom order, so the machine work wont start for another 4-5 weeks most likely.

Unfortunately it seems that no one makes any kind of race bearings for the VHR yet, so coated oem will have to suffice. Having the full rotating assembly balanced including the stock pulley should help prevent any issues as well.

Real Auto Dynamics will be handling the build for me. Normally I really take pride in doing this kind of work myself, but I just don't have the space for this kind of project anymore unfortunately

Watch this space over the next few weeks for pictures of parts and tear down of the VHR, hopefully followed closely by the machine/assembly work

Last edited by esfourteen; 12-11-2012 at 08:57 PM.
esfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote