View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #607 (permalink)
cavemancan
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z TourSport MT
cavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post

2) Battery reloc + sub/spare removal. Remove heavy battery from front, remove heavy subwoofer and spare tire from rear, install light battery in trunk area. Net drop is 64lbs, 35 from the front and 29 from the rear. Cost is one Odyssey PC-680 battery, plus mounting and cabling hardware and some labor time. DIY: Battery Relo
3) Lightweight wheels+tires. I went with 18" Forgestars and Continental DW tires. There are lots of options, but it's rotating unsprung mass and it's worth way more than gutting sprung weight on the car.
4) Exhaust system. Look into options like Fast Intentions - good gains and a nice weight drop from the factory system. If you combine it with their long-tube headers it's even more weight drop, and more of it up-front.

Once you get those basics knocked out, then start evaluating the rest. Whatever level of interior stripping you can tolerate on the street, and lighter racing buckets are both reasonable options.
Basically what I was thinking minus the windshield washer hardware. I'd rather not get rid of that yet.

Prob what I will do is not relocate the battery but I may get the Odyssey and place it in the stock location. I'll remove the spare before every race but leave it mounted as a precaution. I used to have the Forgestars on the Rx8...fantastic rim which will net us about 3 to 4 lbs of weight savings each wheel but I am not sure I want forgestars on the Z...I need to see it in person (Still looking). As far as exhaust I am not sure the savings in weight in this location is worth it or not due to the difference in HP with lets say the Stillen exhaust. Not to mention I don't want to make the weight distribution any worse lol but the headers are a definate.

Has anyone tried out a lighter flywheel?