Thread: Hoosier A6's...
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
sixpax
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 370Z NAG 7AT
sixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of lightsixpax is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
Couple of things

You have no worries getting 275 to work safely and properly upfront and 295 in rear.

Let's talk about proper tire for track days. I'm a huge fan of Nitto Nto1 DOTR tire. They will last longer than true slick and give great performance.

Let's bust some myths. Hoosier a6 while an AX tire compound holds up remarkably well on track. And while I wouldn't use on a hot day perform very well on days when temps are below 75 degrees. I get 3 track days from mine. However unless you're doing time trail on cool day I'd go with R6. But frankly even r6 is overkill. Don't forget if you are determined to run a dot r slick GoodYear and BFG make Tires that offer similar or even better performance to Hoosiers . A6 falling off after 3 laps? Well yes but that's falling off from crazy stick to just awesome stick. We ran my car with A6 with grand am driver driving and me in passenger seat 3700 lbs of car and people and the tires performed remarkably well entire session. But having said this I was there doing time trial so and wanted very fastest DOTR tire I could run .

If you want cheap race slick go to used race tire sellers and pick up take off slicks. That's the ticket to budget track day fun! Hey get continental (hoosier) slicks that's the ticket!

But truly look at Nitto Nto1 or Hankook RS3 they will last the longest and are less likely to puncture.

But we all have offered lots of advice without really understanding your intended use or car setup? That's where we need to start to have productive conversation. What track when do you typically run (weather) Remember a6 isn't any good in the rain! Lol! Autocross? Time trails? Suspension setup? These are some of variables to consider. Hoosiers love a ton of negative camber is your car setup to make this adjustment?

And to be real honest forums are often worse place to ask tire related question. Call a reputable race tire shop and talk to person about your application. In fact talk to a couple and you will learn a lot. Hey I even talk to technical people at tire manufactures sometimes
Some great input...thanks.

I am not the greatest communicator, so my question could probably been written better.

1. I want to keep the 18" stock rims.

2. I know for the street the biggest tire you can get on those rims is 245 F and 275 R.

3. Driving on the track puts more stress on tires than driving around on the street, so basically my question was are those sizes safe for the rims in question being they are upsized a couple sizes.
sixpax is offline   Reply With Quote