View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
RCZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z
RCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond reputeRCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Why would it be a tic faster? The only AT's I've heard that were faster are true dual-clutch transmissions. A normal driver should be able to shift a bit faster than 500 milliseconds so it would basically have to be a gearing difference, maybe?
Tick faster to what exactly ?...it shouldn't be a tick faster from a standstill to anything because you can't launch it. After that, anyone who knows how to shift a car should be able to shift in under 500ms...thats a half a second for you math impaired folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post
.5 sec is pretty fast, not dct fast but almost as fast. See how long it takes to press the clutch and change gears, and release the clutch. I think for most drivers it's going to take more than .5 secs.
You are certainly right, 500ms is fast for an automatic and not almost as fast as a DCT, sorry. The DCT in the M3 can do under 100ms and the DCT in the GT-R can do under 250ms. Also I don't know how much experience you have driving manual transmissions, but you press/depress the clutch and change the gear almost simultaneously, it isn't 3 different steps in practice. People who drive aggressively should be able to do this in less than 500 ms...

I'll give you the fact that the auto tranny in the Z isn't bad by automatic transmission standards, but don't think that it is better than a good driver with the manual.
RCZ is offline   Reply With Quote