View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1adesofcha0s View Post
No we didn't work on throttle steering much. In some of the corners he did tell me when I should stop braking and get on the gas and this did give me somewhat of an idea what it's like.
Yeah even before you get to throttle steering, one of the big revelations for me was how much grip you can add by getting back *on* the throttle just when you think you're already pushing the limit of traction and your naive mind is saying, "no no no, slow down if anything".

Learn to get your braking done earlier and get back on that throttle and be at least very gently accelerating through most of the curvy bits. It puts the weight back down over the rear tires and gives you the grip to get through there faster than you could while braking or rolling through at constant speed.

Once you get used to stabilizing your traction with a little bit of throttle like that in the curves, then it's not hard to progressively move up to actual throttle steering to point the nose where it needs to go. Then the next trick is to work on trail-brake steering on the way in, which changes everything again. I'm still at the start of that process...