View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #59 (permalink)
vividracing
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 350Z,370Z,GTR
vividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vividracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Thanks for all of the thread comments.
I guess the failure of the sub is probably due to a wiring error of 1ohm instead of being at 4ohms.

The thing I'm still not getting is, the other JL sub I have is still working completely fine being wired at 1ohm, and doesn't sound like it's getting too much power whatsoever. My volume levels are still as low as they were when the 1 sub stopped working.

If the wiring caused the subs to get wayyyyyy too much power, shouldn't they both be dead, instead of one being toast and the other working as good as new?

This is why I think there's something defective with the one sub.
You were overpowering them substantially. If there was a defect, it wasn't the ultimate source of the failure. It may have allowed the woofer to fail sooner than the other, but the fact remains that they were severely overpowered.

Let's put it this way... If I put 2 brand new cars on the dyno and run them both at 2000 RPM over redline and one blows up before the other I can't really say that car was defective. It was being pushed beyond it's engineered limits. The other car just held out longer. Maybe the car that lasted longer was built a little better, maybe not.

Rocky @ Vivid ♦ 480.966.3040 x236 ♦ Rocky@vividracing.com
Email, PM, or call me directly for aggressive The370Z.com member pricing!!!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote