View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #197 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfreakazoid View Post
Damn that long of a wait for the pof??? HOLY SH*T!

I'm curious what is better, the .308 or the 6.8? What are the disadvantage and advantage over the other. The .308 uses the 7.62 ammo right? But the 6.8 suppose to be just as strong as the 7.62. Also, the 5.56 lower rec and the 6.8 lower rec are the same size and you don't have to buy a a whole new lower rec. Other than that I don't know other than the 7.62 being a bigger caliber bullet.
Personally, I prefer the .308 Win (aka 7.62x51). It packs a little more punch at longer ranges than the 6.8SPC, and perhaps more importantly, it's a much more popular cartridge, which means you can always find plentiful ammo in this caliber, and lots and lots of different guns to shoot it in. It's got really great ballistics for a short cartridge which can be used easily in semi-auto designs. You can step up from .308 to bolt-action guns in the magnum calibers for better long range work (like .300WinMag, 7mm Rem Mag, the Ultra versions, and penultimately the .338 Lapua, which is about as badass as you get without going .50BMG), but rifles in those calibers tend to be a whole lot bulkier and heavier - the .308 is a nice practical sweetspot for tactical and hunting use.

6.8SPC is still a bit of a specialty round, and who knows, 10 years from now it may die off in popularity, making ammo or reloading components harder to find.