View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #1042 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeron View Post
^^ You can say that about any car once it hits the used market. Some lose their value more quickly than others, but it matters little if you are getting the car new and planning to thrash it till it's worthless anyway.

I see the retail prices of new FRS and BRZs next year being on par with other niche vehicles --people are gonna pay right around invoice or a little more for them. Right now people are willing to pay MSRP, but next year they'll be many more of them around and the dealers will be selling them for invoice.

At that point everyone wins right? The dealers make a little less profit, but they have more to sell. And people get a nice little sports coupe for just a little more than a well spec'd Camry.
That would be true if we were talking about a differnt demographic who traditionally hold onto practical cars longer. You will see yonger demographic buying these and selling them a couple years down the road.

WInners will be people like me who wait for somone to unload one with low miles at 60% off what they paid in 2 years. No I see these cars as having very high depreciation. They arent special enough to hold value and the higher numbers will mean there will be poorly cared for cars that pull others down with them. One thing Porsches had going in intial phases were parts were expensive so thrashed Boxsters still commanded decent price for parts. this car uses pretty plain Jane components shared with Subi, Toyota and Scion. Nope this car will a$s rape new buyers who pay MSRP now.