View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Totally agree. I was just thinking it might just be too much and possibly discouraging for someone starting out...especially if you don't know your way around a camera ....let alone a program like Photoshop. It might just be me and probably in my head, but I tend to think jpeg encourages shooting more pics. Something people who are new to photography often don't do enough of. No one likes having to edit in post.
It's true, JPEG is the province of the snapshot shooter because it takes up less memory card space and is faster in editing programs like Photoshop becasue it's a smaller image file. Additionally, most of the cameras out there apply various image manipulation algorythms to JPEGS (in addition to compression) in the camera to adjust the image to have a color balance etc that the camera manufacturer thinks that the photographer will think is a pleasing image. From my standpoint, I'd rather make those decisions myself, hence I prefer to shoot in RAW. Doing so, I can adjust, for example, the exposure of the image just exactly as if I'd had the camera's exposure set differently. With JPEG, I can only apply an overlay of lightness or darkness (with all the added artifact that implies), not change the actual exposure settings.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote