View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
98intrigue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 Viper
98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute98intrigue has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 98intrigue

I test drove a 40th Anniversary 370Z on a Tuesday with no hopes of actually owning one. I just REALLY loved the red iterior (already had suede like my G35 did) and my favorite color is purple, so the 40th Quartz fit my interests perfectly! I'm an impulse buyer... and bought it that Saturday, July 28, 2010. My first new car

I needed help bringing both cars home since the dealer let me keep my G35 for a week to part it out.

I had a love for the Z that was more than the G35 coupe...and I didn't think that was possible. I had the IForged Aeros on for a short time, as well as installed H&R lowering springs, Berk high-flow cats, and HKS Hi-Power exhaust 2 months into ownership.

Ever heard a Z with open headers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhM250gBbg

Then what made my car.... the SSR SP3s arrived a few weeks later

Once my exterior mods were complete (except tint), I did a photoshoot...SSR was nice enough to feature them.

I did one of the first Motordyne M370 tests and got a tune.

Two months later, I decided it was time to get back into boost (biggest mistake I made). I let Lutz Performance build me the first single turbo kit. WHAT A MISTAKE! The car ran like crap from the day it was completed in May 2011 until the day the motor started ticking in October 2011

I had the opportunity to meet a lot of great new people and see some old faces at ZDayz 2011. I even won 1st place Wild 370Z!

I made my favorite video to date from ZDayz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q46wtX_Bxl0

On the way home from ZDayz, my headaches were just starting Thanks to Lutz, I blew my power steering pump, snapped the pulley, burnt through the passenger side wiring harness, fried the 120-amp battery fuse, and burnt through a power steering line. I was stranded in Georgia for 4 days, but Z1 M otorsports was amazing! They treated me like their best friend and even offered me a place to crash.

In August, I had a friend do my car the way Lutz should have done from the beginning... dual 3" equal length intake piping into a 2-to-1 ProCharger intercooler. Oh yeah...a custom 3" exhaust with an 18" Magnaflow resonator and a 3" HKS Hi-Power Ti muffler

The entire summer was spent trouble shooting and fixing little issues. Then in October, afer alllllll the heahaches...I was ready for a baseline run before I got retuned. I was running a base map from a GReddy TT car that Z1 tuned conservatively.

Street tires vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdH6Gve88co

My first pass netted me a 11.8 @ 119mph. I put in some 110 octane, upped the boost to 13psi, trapped 122mph and the motor started making a faint ticking noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7gSovgGwQA

Then the final straw... About 1 month after the ticking started, I was literally 2 days away from writing a check for a built motor. This was the breaking point. An old man backed into my parked car. It was probably the cheapest fix I came across on the Z, but there were just too many signs that finally told me "STOP!"

I took off all the exterior modifications that day. The next weekend, the turbo kit came off. Slowly, everything was removed from the car. Since the motor blew, I toyed with the idea of many different cars. I really wanted an S5 before the Z, but I no longer wanted one. My 2 close friends have a modded 997TT and a modded 996TT...so the P cars were really looking good to me, but they were a lot of money. A Z06? Too common... GTR? Out of my price range? Viper? Noooo

Last edited by 98intrigue; 05-22-2012 at 12:51 AM.
98intrigue is offline   Reply With Quote