View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #990 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo2max99 View Post
So much misinformation I don't even know where to begin..

Let's start with the BRZ / FR-S

* It's curb weight is ~ 2750lbs NOT 3000lbs.

* It puts down 173WHP NOT under 150WHP

* 0-60 in 6.2 and 14.8 quarter is plenty quick enough for a car like the BRZ / FR-S. More power wouldn't do much for the fun factor just screw with the balance and limit engagement.

* EVO is basically the ONLY one's saying the BRZ is under powered. Considering they could only muster a 7.6 0-60 and tested the AUTO version may have something to do with it but not that much.

* I'll take the word over the vast majority over one set of reviews basically claiming the complete opposite. Their motives for basically saying the BRZ is a POS? Can't say for sure but no way in hell can so many be so wrong about the car.

For the lost one saying the Z is somehow vastly superior to cars like the MX-5 / BRZ:

The MX-5 is far FAR the superior driver's car. So if 99.9% of the reviews who've tested the BRZ / FR-S are correct the BRZ / FR-S will also blow the Z out of the water where it actually matters. Don't believe it? Wait until Car and Driver / Road & Track / Motor Trend, etc test them.

Not long ago Car and Driver tested / compared (best 40K and under) the Mustang GT, 370Z, MX-5, EVO X, GTI, Cooper JCW.

Results? The EVO X and MX-5 are in another league above the rest. Far better handling / driver's cars than the rest.

The 370Z finished behind the Mustang GT ahead of only the FWD GTI and Mini Cooper JCW barely.

They rated the 370Z the least fun to drive of all the cars. The EVO X and MX-5 finished WAY far ahead in the fun to drive category as well. The Z did post the 2nd quickest lab though! Not that really matters.

The #'a don't mean **** unless your racing your daily drivers for a living.

Again, considering 99.9% say the BRZ / FR-S is similar to the MX-5 it will in fact be far more fun / rewarding to drive than your precious Z.

I'm not here to stoke egos just stating reality. Sorry but your Z isn't all you think it is. If your happy with it that's great but don't fool yourself there are much better cars.

A car doesn't have to have all kinds of power to be a great driver's car when it has a well balanced chassis and accessible limits. Cars with really high limits need the extra power a hence can only really be exploited on a race track.

Again see Mazda MX-5 it's pure proof of this. The fact that it doesn't have a whole lot of power makes it fun as well as you can drive closer to 99% more of the time. Most cars today have far too much power and way higher limits than necessary for the street.

I don't have a problem acknowledging the weaknesses of the car I'm currently driving being an 08' MS3. I have no issue acknowledging that while it's the fastest Mazda currently offers it's by no means the best sports car Mazda offers.

The MX-5 is by far more fun / rewarding to drive and there's plenty of other cars that I have no problem admitting are much better than my MS3. Had I not been in a serious relationship at the time with a kid I would have gotten more of a pure sports car but the MS3 is still a decent car.

The novelty of going fast in a straight line runs off fast (I've driven plenty of 11-12 sec cars) There's so much more to a good sports car than how fast it goes.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c4xxkb

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?c4xxkb
I never said curb weight was 3000. I said realistic weight is 3000 lbs when you have passenger and fuel in the car. That wieght with little NA 2.0 is going to be sucky for most street driving.

The car doesn't make much power at all under 4000 rpm. 0 to 60 times from a test track are worthless unless you plan to drop clutch with 4000 rpm like faster testers did! Lol!

Might want to check your claim on 173 WHP. im sure there's a Dyno somewhere that will show 200 WHP somewhere. Lol!

I agree this car has definitely got chassis to perform well however it's woefully underpowered to be considered a serious sports car. Most of the time it will have acceleration similar to a Mazda 3 or a Civic SI. Not overly impressive. And when you couple great chassis with underpowered motor things get boring fast!

It's got it where it counts? And you think Z doesn't handle well? Lol! Look at national stock autocross results. couple of 370z right in the thick of things with little Miatas in event that tests agility! I haven't seen a Miata faster than my 370z at events for a while.

Cars with high limits for street not fun? I completely disagree. This is a myth made by people who don't drive these cars. My 450 hp 2900 lb 370z is a blast on the street. Way more fun than my Miata and my boxsters were! Something to be said about having power and handling! I love jumping on power out of turn in the z. It's actually safer as I can have fun at slower speeds. Miata I had to be moving to feel the fun factor.

I have owned and driven Miatas, Porsches, nissans and toyotas on the track. You might be surprised at how agile a well setup 370z is. They gain much more agility than Miata does when suspension mods are made. I stick on Miatas all the way through turns with no issues on track. In fact my pleasure is to pass Miatas and lose them in S turns.

I really think your misinformed? Hopefully your doing some research now to be better informed rather than falling for all the Marketing hype of the " balanced chassis". Or "designed with passion" or lower CG than a Lamborghini. Lol!

Last edited by Shamu; 05-18-2012 at 07:59 AM.