View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #85 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
Would an aftermatket fuel pump system at least minimize how catastrophic this issue is?
Not exactly. It's not a problem with the pump, it's a problem with the bracket holding the pump (reserve cup being too small) and a bad gas tank that allows gas to slosh to the California side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLion View Post
Anyway, the problem may not be classic fuel starvation caused by the turn. It could be that the gas takeup in the tank is too high, maybe water down at the bottom, etc. It could make sense to go get it checked out.
It's my first time hitting it off the track too, but this is my first time not being able to restart my car unlike a hick up like I had at the track. It's definitely not water, no sign combustion at the exhaust and you can just hear there is no gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
It's not a "some cars" issue, it is a "some drivers" issue.
Anyone who looks at the tank can see the issue. It is a fundamental design flaw that created issues for anyone who drives hard. It is not at all similar to issues like oil consumption, which is going to be hit or miss
100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I'm just taking a guess here, but I think once the pump goes dry, it shuts down the fuel system thinking the tank is empty. I know when I got towed off of Road Atlanta, I indicated empty and the car wouldn't start. After putting two gallons in, it went back to 3/4 full, so maybe there is no way for the fuel to get back to the other side once everything shuts down.
I don't think it shut down the fuel system because there were a few times where the car "attempted" to fire. My best restart had me idling at 400RPM for about five secs. Problem went away as soon as I loaded it with gas. If I recall correctly, the fuel pump is fed by a combination of a vacuum tube sucking gas back in from the other side (no start=no vacuum). Correct me if i am wrong on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianpayne View Post
Guys, I can tell you that I've experienced this but under HARD driving conditions. Turn 17 at Sebring will have you taking a HARD right (almost 90+ mph), and anything under less than half will cause the issue. It's happen to me twice (on seperate occasions) already.
I hit the fuel starve at the track at 3/4 of a tank at 60mph. When I hit it last Friday, I never got past 70mph....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
So how does fuel get from one side of the "saddle" to the other, anyway? I understand that cornering forces would drive fuel to one side or the other, potentially away from the fuel pickups. Does the fuel have some way of leveling back out, other than a hard turn the other way? Are there two fuel pickups; one on each side? Otherwise you could be driving around with fuel in one half and the other half empty, leading to wacko gauge readings and fuel starvation.
See my response for Mike, it's a vacuum that sucks gas back to the right side, where the fuel pump is. The fuel sending unit is on the left side, hence the weird readings you get after hard turns sometimes. I also believe there is a fuel sending unit on the right side (correct me if i am wrong), but i am not 100% sure on that. The gas tank has basically 3 holes, one for the fuel hose nozzle, one for the fuel pump assembley and one for the fuel sending unit. If you want to do any physical work inside, you have to go through one of the three hole. This is why it is so difficult to get a fixed for us and so easy to do it at Nissan since they can simply retool the inners of the gas tank to prevent fuel from sloshing or redesigning the fuel pump bracket/reserve cup to make it bigger.

There is a guy that is supposed to be working on it, but it's been a while and I am not even sure if I want to spend $1000 on whatever fix either. If he doesn't come up with a fix, the shop that designed my trailer hitch will probably start getting into the car to see if there is any fix for it. I have to be honest, it's not going to be an easy or cheap fix, we probably have to wait for Nissan to send a revision to the tank or the pump or maybe a recall.....
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote