View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #52 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpax View Post
I had told him I was on stock brakes, which can't handle much, and that the Z has an issue with oil cooling and I had no oil cooler ... so therefore I am going to be slow to protect my rig, and us.

I think he forgot all about that after 1 or 2 laps and the race car driver in him took over ... but I think I was just incredibly slow and he was probably getting bored ... I was more concerned with just staying on the track than how fast I was going. I liked him though, I hope I get him again when I go back in June.

Actually in my video when it starts out there is a Corvette ahead of me. That was the second time I had pointed him by LOL.
He probably thought you were blowing it out of proportion. Understand if he was driving, he'd be braking a LOT harder, and SIGNIFICANTLY later than you were. He'd overheat them in no time. I'd give them 2 laps with him driving...maybe.

A good instructor will tailor himself to the driver - he was pushing you hard at first, harder than you (rightfully) wanted to go, and I could tell he was kinda seeing how far you'd go. You were still WELL within safe range for the tires and he knew that - I barely heard your tires squeeling. In fact, the first time you DID squeel, he freaked and cheered - which I thought was awesome/hilarious, btw.

With a proper setup you could accelerate longer on straights, accelerate earlier when exiting a corner, brake later/harder into corners, and in general, throw the car around more.

Your instincts to go slow are hardly unnatural, and being your first time ever, perfectly fine. After a full weekend of doing this, you will look back at this video and go, "Damn, I WAS slow" hahaha.

You did great for your first time (and being handicapped w/ no good brakes/cooling). Be happy with your performance, change what is needed, and go out ready next time!