View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
370Ztune
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Z34 370Z
370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
if they are simply riveted to the front bumper, id assume hardly any real downforce would be given as too much would just yank 'em off. if they were attached to the bumper beam inside i guess they may be a bit more functional, but ive always thought for for road cars they were mostly aesthetic. race cars do everything they can to get everything they can get.

none the less, they look freakin cool.
Thanks for the feedback

I am definitely with you on this one. For sure these canards cannot withstand the 100's of pounds of downforce like the GT500 cars can.

I am a bit of a track junkie personally and when it comes to tracking daily drivers, I look at downforce the same way I do weight savings...every little bit helps

This is all speculating of course but lets say I have a 370Z that I want to track. I get a front diffuser that generates 60 pounds of downforce @ 90 mph, front canards that generate 30 pounds of downforce @ 90 mph, rear diffuser that generates another 60 pounds of downforce @ 90 mph, and a rear wing that generates 100 pounds of downforce @ 90 mph. By itself, these products don't benefit your car that much; add it all up and you have an additional 250 pounds of downforce @ 90 mph. I bet that would make a huge difference on the track (depending on what kind of track you are at ).

The crazy thing is, I still have the options to go with vortex generators, side diffusers, front spoiler, and/or another set of front canards, or rear canards...so as far as my car goes I can really improve the car's performance simply by adding small amounts of downforce here and there. After that, I still have weight savings, performance mods, suspension/chassis; by the time I finish, this 370Z could be a force to reckon with on the track.

Again, this is my personal perspective on downforce so feel free to take it with a grain of salt

-Hunter

Last edited by 370Ztune; 08-24-2009 at 05:48 PM.
370Ztune is offline   Reply With Quote