View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #556 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Has anybody heard of or used Tomioka lightweight batteries? They come in 6, 12, 15, 17 and 21lbs. I may buy one of these if I hear some good reviews on them. Pretty good weight savings..

Lightweight batteries - Products
Their 15lb model looks roughly comparable to Odyssey's PC-680 in just about every respect (roughly similar dimensions, capacities, ratings, etc) based on what little info they give out. They claim a considerably higher "CCA", but it's well known that there's multiple definitions of that term that mfgs play around with to compete with each other. The other figures are very close though, with the slight edge to the Tomioka battery all around. On the other hand the PC-680 is well-proven, easy to buy, and cheaper (check amazon.com).

Both mfgs offer a range of weight tradeoffs of course, but honestly I'd be wary of going any smaller than about where the PC-680 is at, at least with AGM technology batteries (which both of these are). Maybe for dedicated, trailered race car you could go smaller, since you can always jump-start that easily.