View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #200 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
^ Yeah, I get that they're distinct. But fading the fronts on relatively low-end pads isn't a binary condition. As they get "a little" faded, where the pedal's a little softer and your braking distance gets a bit longer, the bias shifts to the rear and then ice-mode kicks in sooner than it did on the previous lap, causing the "omg what happened to my brakes" reaction .
And with pad fade the pedal still feels relatively firm thanks to ABS kicking in at the rear. From the driver's seat you just feel ABS and reduced braking performance.

Also stupid Brake Assist activates the ABS prematurely if you jump on the brake pedal swiftly but haven't pushed the pedal hard enough to activate ABS. Unfortunately Brake Assist is counter productive to what we are taught as proper on-track driving skills.

The ABS system in general does not deal well with grippy track pads and/or low grip conditions. Short of going to a full-race spec ABS system I think you are better off disabling the ABS if you can get things proportioned properly.