View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
280z/300zx
Track Member

Drives: 280z, 300zx, Vette
280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute

A stage 2 WRX should be a tad faster in a drag race and from a roll it should be pretty even. The WRX will get the advantage in a drag race due to it's AWD, which is why from a roll rather than beating the 370z it should be even. Stage 2 on a WRX is pretty similar to what a 370z puts down. Of course it depends on the type of dyno, but given the same dyno similar numbers are made. The 2011 WRX is pretty potent stock and it doesn't take much to make it go faster. The down side to the WRX compared to the STI is it has a weak tranny. In order to get good times out of the WRX you have to due some high rpm launches which typically blows out the tranny quickly. I mean it can handle a few launches during it's life but regular launching will have you needing a replacement very soon.

Back when I had my 06 WRX stage 1 I only ever launched once for fear of the tranny. However, even with a low rpm launch and clutch slip the WRX can get off the line quicker than most RWD cars or pretty equivalent. I remember back then my girlfriend had a C6 vette, automatic. My WRX would keep up till about 60mph and then she would just go flying by me. The one time I did launch I jumped about 2 cars at the start. Despite a some downsides to AWD I really enjoyed. Personally I like AWD over RWD. But you do have to drive, or should I say race, the car differently if you plan to have some fun on the street. Not that I condone street racing but I did have my fun back in the day. With the WRX if a car catches you in the wrong gear out of boost or if you don't get to prep your launch at a light your going to loose. Doesn't matter if the car is significantly slower than you. By the time you hit boost and start pulling the race is over. Definitely one plus side to the Z over a WRX, you have power no matter what rpm your at.
280z/300zx is offline   Reply With Quote