View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1936 (permalink)
MacCool
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z PW 2014
MacCool has a spectacular aura aboutMacCool has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost View Post
Interesting article with some valid points, but kind of an example of how lubrication technology is overthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelan View Post
weird I thought I replied here. MacCool I'm cleaning my handgun - a Beretta PX4. I'm leaning towards using some 5w30 oil I have for now, and maybe switch it up later. But I'm open to thoughts and suggestions on what I absolutely need to clean the gun properly.
Simpler is better IMHO. For semi-auto handguns, I just use some Hoppe's #9 with toothbrush, bronze brush for the barrel followed by a bore snake soaked in Hoppe's, and then an oiled a swab on a short rod. Nothing wrong with patches on a jag, but I find those annoying to use so I just go with the swabs and replace them every so often. They're pretty cheap. I use some synthetic oil on the rotating surfaces like hammer and trigger pins. I might use some brake cleaner (chlorinated version) for hard-to-reach crudded-up areas (don't use on painted surfaces or finished wood), and I confess I occasionally put some moly grease on the slide rails. For the exterior, I've been using Sheath.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote