View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

On the second bit, obviously opinions will vary, but I don't think there's a lot of room to mess with it on an NA car without making things awful for daily driving. You push the numbers just a little bit too high and you get really hard engagements with an ugly drivetrain shock to them. I've seen very shock-y engagements in some areas of the map when raising the stock numbers as little as ~5-10%.

In any case I'm not really convinced the harder shifts are usefully faster on the road (as opposed to trying to shave milliseconds at the drag strip). After all, clutch engagement isn't anywhere near the primary delay factor, most of the delay is in the electronics and other bits in-between your paddle shifters and the actual clutch engagement.

Mostly I think the useful purpose of this map to just to ensure you're not getting slippage (which will cause premature failure) if you've significantly bumped the power (i.e. TT/SC setups). With all that extra power, it takes more line pressure to keep it from slipping like crazy. If it's not slipping now (and it shouldn't be on NA, but you can check via Cipher), there's not a lot of point toying with it.