View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan0 View Post
Why would they need to cross?
If you tighten the straps well enough, they shouldn't slide side to side.. keeping them in place wouldn't be 'needed'... and yould only need to keep them about 6" apart if you use a HANS.
Apparently there's an ideal angle for the belts to be at in the lateral direction. They're not meant to go perfectly straight back, they're supposed to be ~20-25 degrees angled inward. Thus, if the bar is more than a few inches behind the seat, they end up coming towards each other pretty significantly, eventually crossing over each other somewhere around the 18-20 inch mark from the back of the seat. If the bar's further back than that, you actually do cross them over and then strap them down on the "opposite" side from where they originated. Then again while mounting that far back "works", it's more ideal/safe to have the bar much closer to the seat, so that there's less length for stretching/slack.

The idea behind putting something on the bar to limit sideways travel (e.g. ziptied padding) is that you put it on the outside edges to ensure the belts don't move out (closer to straight) while loose between rides. Or in the case that they cross over, you put it between them (since the angle would "come loose" towards the center).

Again, I've never installed one in my life, I'm just getting this from internet research. One of the primary references I keep going back to is Schroth's install guide, which has pretty detailed information on this stuff. See pages 12, 13, 18, and 28 here: http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf.