View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #73 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

My consumption's still fine at ~26K miles now on my 2009, but I'm not part of the TSB VIN range either. Re: break-in, that's one of those famous internet argument things where you'll get 500 different answers, but IMHO you don't want to just baby the engine for the first several hundred miles or you'll *cause* oil consumption problems. You'll wear down the scoring on the cylinder walls before it's done its job on the piston rings. Prepare yourself for thousands of conflicting opinions if you google that issue further though. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if all modern engines are fully broken in at the factory anyways, and the note about break-in is just to get people to take it easy on a new car to get time to learn how it handles, and avoid more-serious incidents if there was a major factory defect.