View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan0 View Post
a B pillar will not give... it is designed as a 'roll bar'. you think a b-pillar will give if your head hits it, but won't give if the car actually rolls over? (its designed purpose)
I don't think the stock B-pillars are design to hold up the car like a rollbar. They might help a little, but they're gonna collapse. I also don't see hitting the B-pillar with your head as being a very likely scenario (at least, not as probably as hitting a rollbar).

Quote:
and as far as the windshield frame goes (see above)... but also you'd be surprised how much stretching and movement goes on in a crash.
If the car distorts enough to bring the windshield frame into my head, I don't think it's gonna be very solid anymore. If I distort enough to reach the windshield frame with airbags and belts/harnesses worn, I don't think it matters what else happens to me at that point heh.

Quote:
in this case he is saying he is going to track the car anyway, and only place a little emphasis on safety for now... fine... his call.

This confused me for a second with the pronouns. I was the OP and the person you're replying to . It's not that I'm only placing a little emphasis on safety. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on safety in general. I think the part you're mis-interpreting there is: the desire for the rollbar wasn't driven by safety concerns, and I don't want to compromise existing safety just to feel more connected to the car in a harness.

The complete OEM system of seats, belts, bags, body is well-engineered and crash-tested. It's not as safe as being in a caged race car, with harnesses, helmet, and HANS, but the big non-obvious point is that most halfway solutions which aren't completely stock or completely race are actually worse than either of them. Everything is intertwined in the safety systems and it's hard to touch just one aspect of it without screwing up the rest.

Quote:
factor in the odds of an 'earnhardt' vs a roll over... how well the OEM roof holds up... the fact that he is going to run 4-pts (available submarine room)... and a reclinable seat (available collapse room).
The stock roof won't probably hold for jack. In a hard rollover this car's gonna be pancaked to the top edge of the doors like a barless convertible, IMHO. It's be nice if that weren't true, and it might not be true, but I haven't seen any evidence of that (including having stripped out my upper interior and looked at it myself).

The 4-point harnesses I was considering are the Scroth ASM ones: they have a mechanism (like many OEM belts) where an extra loop of harness on one shoulder is folded over on itself and lightly stitched. In a wreck, the light stitching rips out and one shoulder comes forward more than the other, putting a slight twist in the body that greatly reduces the odds of submarining, much like an OEM 3-point does.

The reclineable seat definitely can collapse, agreed; that concern was really the point of starting this thread.

Quote:
my money is on harness bar and HANS...
My money is on this getting you killed in a rollover.